Friday, September 18, 2009

And we're off!


The Great American Road Trip is officially under way! On Sunday, Gideon and I packed up the Honda and headed north to Pittsburgh. We spent 2 days helping my mom and step-dad prepare their house for sale. Although there was some manual labor involved, we had a great time with my mom and sisters and I am really glad we got to see them before heading west.

At 6:30 Wednesday morning we hit the road and arrived in Chicago around 2pm. Now, I was born in Naperville, a suburb of Chicago, but this was my FIRST visit to the windy city! I know... I can't believe it either! Well, let me just say, I am smitten. I am in love. Emily and Chicago, sittin' in a tree... I was tempted to call off the road trip and move in with George and Robin and their lovely kids, our family/friends who welcomed us in for two nights. What a city! Gideon and I walked miles during our visit, exploring the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Lake Shore trail, the Field Museum, and the Navy Pier. We also splurged for a one hour architecture tour boat ride through the city. Seriously, for those of you who have been to the fair city of Chicago, have you ever seen a more stunning city? It's my new favorite place and I just might have to live there at some point.

This morning, we said "ciao bella" to Chicago and drove, drove, drove across the country's mid-section. As much as I love Chicago, I can't say I'm all that impressed by the flat surrounding states, but a good book on tape (World Without End by Ken Follett) was all we needed to make the day fly by. The highlight of the day was a visit to the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota. I had heard about this place--a palace in the middle of the plains decorated top to bottom with corn mosaics. Who wouldn't want to check that out? Poor Gideon was sleeping in the passenger seat when I exited the highway. "Where are we going?" he asked groggily. "Oh, I have a surprise for you. You just wait," I replied with a knowing wink and a nod. A few miles off the highway, in the wild west town of Mitchell we beheld the Corn Palace. We snatched a parking spot right out front and ran in. It had the feel of a basketball stadium inside--not what I was expecting. We heard live music playing and followed our ears up some steps and were downright blown away by what we saw. It was a huge basketball court with stadium seating packed to the gills with polka dancing senior citizens. Yes, we must have done something right; we happened to stumble upon the Corn Palace Polka Fest. What luck! As Gideon put it, it felt like we wandered into a very strange dream.





At the moment, I am sitting in the car at our first campsite, a rather lovely, deserted KOA thirty miles or so from the Badlands, which we will explore tomorrow. Time for some shut eye under the stars. Until then, happy trails to you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words about the Corn Palace. Our annual Polka festival is currently going on September 18, 19 amd 20, 2009.

    Mark Schilling
    Corn Palace Director

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great! And I love that you were thanked by the corn palace director!

    ReplyDelete