Monday, March 8, 2010

Patan Durbar Square

Saturday afternoon was spent exploring the Durbar Square of Patan with Mike, Amy and Ethan.  Although it’s situated in the southern Kathmandu metropolitan area, Patan used to be its own fiercely independent city-state.  The Durbar Square is a stunning collection of Newari temples and palaces built in the 14th through 18th centuries.  Understandably, it is a protected UNESCO World Heritage site.  Although most of the temples are Hindu in nature, Buddhist stupas abound, as is true with many sights in Nepal.

When Shree dropped us off at the Durbar Square, my jaw literally dropped.  I was struck dumb by the sheer grandeur of the scene before me.  Fortunately, no one was in a hurry and we spent the next few hours leisurely wandering through the square and on through the narrow streets and alleyways of the neighborhoods north of the square.


 
 

 
 
  
  
 Playing slinky on the temple steps

  
  
Naughty Nepal... some VERY interesting details in this carving... hmmm

  
  
An unusual site...an unsmiling Nepali

  
Fetching the water at the Durbar fountain

 
  
Lots going on in this family photo...

We also had some time to bargain for souvenirs.  I had become quite skillful at bargaining while we were in China a few years back, so I was ready to try my hand at it again.  I spotted a bright blue mask of Ganesha, the Hindu god of success resembling an elephant.  There is no accounting for taste, and I was inexplicably drawn to it.  A bargaining session ensued between the salesman and me.  I was able to work the price down from 2500 rupees ($33) to 500 rupees ($7).  It took time, as all serious bargaining does, and I was quite pleased with myself in the end.  “You very clever,” the salesman told me.  That’s right…

When I caught up with the group, I showed them my hard-earned prize.  It was hailed with peals of laughter.  Mike asked how much I paid for it and I told him 500 rupees.
“What?  Five hundred rupees?!?!” he laughed in utter exasperation.
“Yes.  How much would you have paid for it?” I asked, as my ego starting to deflate.
“No more than 100 rupees, if I ever wanted a tacky blue elephant head to add to my collection.”
Well, I did not let Mike’s teasing get me down; I liked my souvenir.  But I did realize that I had been had.  My bargaining skills need some serious brushing up, apparently.  There will be time for that, no doubt.
 Ganesha covered with tika powder

 
"Peace!  Now give us some rupees!"

  
Ethan making more doggy friends

  
  
Hindu shrines can be found in the strangest places

  
Patan Durbar Square parking lot

  
Now this is what is meant by a hole-in-the-wall restaurant

  
One skinny house

  
A meeting of the minds

  
Ethan and the lion, a powerful combination
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment