Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gideon is getting old

Yesterday was Gideon’s birthday.  He turned 32 years old—don’t let him tell you otherwise.  He’s been known to try and convince himself and others that he is 28 years old no matter how many birthdays go by. 
I can give him a hard time about this all I want, rubbing it in, saying, “No, Honey, you are no longer in your twenties, you are in your thirties.  And you are now 32.  You are getting old.”  Unfortunately, he will forever have the snappy comeback: “No matter how old I am, you will always be older.”  Grrr.  Polly put it nicely yesterday when she said, “It sounds so much better now that Gideon is 32.  It makes you seem like much less of a cougar.”  What?!  I’m 33 people!  So, I’m a bit older than my husband, but really, when you look at me, do you think “cougar”?  I think not.

No matter.  We had a fun day celebrating Gideon’s agedness, starting off with a fancy breakfast of Croque Madame (kind of a French take on Eggs Benedict).  Gideon loves big, hearty, fatty breakfasts with a passion, so I try hard to make him breakfast this one day a year.  Fortunately, I had Polly around to help me this year so breakfast was served well before noon.

In the evening, we tried out a restaurant in Santa Rosa called Starks, known for its fantastic happy hour.  Yesterday’s post is evidence of the good time had by all.

After filling up on fried goodness at Starks, we came home for cake and ice cream.  Our friends Lisa and Ella came over to celebrate with us.  Ella brought her princess outfit, sparkly shoes, and her tea set.  I think she was trying to impress Gideon.  And I think her plan worked; Gideon was impressed.  He shared many cups of tea with Ella before it was time for cake. 




After singing to the birthday boy, we ate giant slabs of homemade carrot cake.  I didn’t think Ella would be a carrot cake kind of girl.  When I told her what kind of cake I made for Gideon, her response was, “CARROT cake???  Mommy, they’re having CAAAAARROT CAKE”, complete with rolling of eyes and a deep sigh, as in “Mommy, what kind of birthday party did you bring me to?  Geez.”  But when it came time to try it, Ella gave it a shot, probably because she saw Gideon loving it and she wanted to impress him again.  After much noshing, she stopped abruptly and looked up at me with bright eyes and a big smile and proclaimed, “Emily, I like your cake!”  Yes, I think she melted my heart. 


 

  

  

  
No cake for dogs, Shelby.  Especially fat ones.






We topped off the evening with a rousing game of Mexican Train, one of our favorite games around here.  We let Gideon win on his birthday.  I did my part by earning my all-time worst single round score of 131 points, which in this game, is about as much damage as one can do in a single round.  Anything for you, Gideon. 


 

  
My tiles, none of which could be played... NOT a good sign.

A VERY disappointing turn of events (check out my score).  Ugh.


I think I speak for all of us when I say we hope you have a wonderful year, Gideon!  Happy Birthday! 
Now, get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment