Saturday, February 20, 2010

Packing Light

I’m one of those folks who need a good solid week or more to pack for any serious venture, particularly a trip overseas, especially to a non-European country.  The earlier I start packing, the more I can weed down what I take.  My mantra, as always, is “Pack light!”  No need to be burdened by needless stuff, right?  How great would it be to effortlessly sling my pack on my back without flipping over backwards and flopping around like an overturned turtle? 

I started packing for Nepal last week by organizing my clothes.  Well, shoot, I thought, I need some more trekking pants.  Oh, and some long underwear.  And I could really use a better down jacket.  And a semi-dressy outfit for going out on the town in Kathmandu.  Which means I'll need shoes other than hiking boots.  And more socks, underwear, long sleeve t-shirts, and blah, blah, blah.  The next day I went out and spent all the money I had earned hosting at Meritage on clothing stuff that I “needed” for the trip.


Then I started considering the non-clothing items I should take, like a good light-weight paperback book, or two, or three, or four.  Eek!  I always struggle with this one.  I need to take a variety of books because I never can be sure what I will feel like reading at any given moment.  I need choice!  I can’t be stuck without a good book!  I can just hear Gideon harrumphing about my reading habit now.  Stop rolling your eyes man.  I gathered a fantasy book (Wicked), another kind of fantasy book (Outlander), a book on philosophy (Sophie’s World), and my favorite spiritual book (The Places that Scare You).  This last book sounds like it might be about climbing Mt. Everest, but it’s not, so I also packed a guide to Nepal, which includes information about trekking.  I also picked up a handy little guide to the customs and etiquette of Nepal.


Okay, now for medicine and toiletry stuff.  Keep it simple, right?  A trip to CVS and seventy-five dollars later, I might be semi-prepared to live at camp three on the side of Everest for a season.  A little icy-hot, ibuprofen, wet wipes, Sudafed, Imodium, SPF 50 sunscreen, Band-Aids and Neosporin, prescriptions, lozenges, Gatorade packets, lip balm, Airborne, and such will be most helpful, I’m sure.



Finally, that brings me to that dangerous, ever-expanding category: "other stuff".  The camera, computer, chargers/adapters, tripod, and other technological gear; hiking poles, hiking boots, water bottles, day packs; hats, gloves, scarves; zip lock bags, stuff sacks; card games; headlamps and batteries; toilet paper and tissues.  Oh, the list could go on and on, and I’m quite certain it will.  Feel free to tell me what essentials I’m forgetting or what I may want to reconsider.



So, back to that “packing light” thing… it was a good thought, but who can really do this when you’re going to Nepal?  Okay, I guess Nima Sherpa, our friend and trekking guide probably knows how to pack light.  But for the rest of us, I’m starting to understand why porters are a given along the trails in Nepal.  I think I’ll be supporting the local Nepalese economy by embracing the custom as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment